Happy Father's Day to all...
Happy Father's Day to all of you dads out there. All of the gifts that dads bring to their children are overlooked too often, so enjoy your day. I visited my Dad in Waveland a little early and made him his favorite bread pudding with whiskey sauce so Quentin and I could spend Father's Day with his father. We're off to Father's Day lunch and to check out the new Harry Potter movie (which will hopefully be much better than Garfield was!).
Wit and wisdom from my father...
* It's better to be pissed off than pissed on.
* Life's not fair...get over it.
* I don't care who's right or who's wrong. She's my wife and I have to live with her long after you are gone.
* Your ass is grass and I'm a lawnmower.(reserved for special occasions, of course)
* Some friends come, some friends go
* You can buy them books and send them to school but that doesn't mean that they will be successful.
* Life's too short for cheap whiskey.
* Cheap isn't always the best deal.
* If you fall, get up, dust yourself off and try again.
* No one ever learned to ride a bike in a day (and Rome wasn't built in a day either).
* Buying a tutu doesn't make you a ballerina. But who the hell wants to be a ballerina anyway?
* No matter where you may wander (and you need to wander a lot to find this out), there's no place like home.
* If you don't have anything else to talk about, there's always the weather and the job. Always.
* Just showing up is 90 percent of success.
* Growing old is hell. Until you get old, then it sure as hell beats the alternative.
* Hot, humid summers beats shoveling your way out of winter any day.
* He's your brother and you need to watch out for him--even if he doesn't want you to.
* There's no explaining the human heart--it wants what it wants.
* Take care of the things that mean a lot to you.
* Failure in business does not equate to personal failure. You just got to find the right gig.
* We're all still trying to figure out what we want to be when we grow up. Just keep looking...
And, in honor of my father, here is the recipe of the bread pudding I always make for him, one of his favorites:
Bread pudding with Whiskey Sauce
1 qt. half and half
2 cups sugar
1 large loaf Frech bread
2 tbsp vanilla
1 c. raisins
1 stick butter
Tear bread into bits and place in greaded 13x9 pan. In separate container, mix milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and raisins. Pour over bread and mash bread down till soaked. Top with one stick of butter cut into slices. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
1/2 cup butter
1 small can evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 jigger bourbon
Combine butter, milk, sugar and egg yolk in top of double boiler. Cook, stirring over simmering water till thickened. Stir in bourbon. Serve warm on bread pudding or plain cake. (Or, if you're like my family, just eat it straight out of the bowl with a spoon!)