Monday, June 21, 2004

Harry Potter, Master Butcher's Singing Club and Streetcar Named Desire

While watching Harry Potter at the movie for Father's Day, for some reason it hit me why I was so intrigued by a scene in the book I'm reading, The Master Butcher's Singing Club (very good, so far). A young woman finds her lover in the park with another man--she's shocked and relieved, because now she understands why he acts more like a brother than a lover. It hit me right in the middle of Harry Potter that the set-up is very similar to Blanche discovering the sexuality of her husband in Streetcar Named Desire--the beginning of the end for poor Blanche. It got me to wondering how many other stories had similar situations...if you know of any let me know. I would be interested in investigating the thread.

Harry Potter was good (a B or B-, I would say) but a bit long, especially when viewing with a four-year-old. I found myself groaning when they had to go back in time though, because I knew I would too. I don't know if it's because I just saw Mystic River at home or not, but it seemed like both hinged on the idea that changing one small thing in your life could make huge changes in other ways. In Mystic River, the philosophical ones are always wondering "What would have happened in my life if I got in that car?" And Harry Potter's life changed for the better when they went back in time and saved the bird (whose name sounds like Hypocrite but I have no idea how to spell!). What a difference 5 minutes can make, I guess!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home