Famed mill a favorite stop in Arkansas
Thousands of visitors flock to the Old Mill park each year to snap photos and enjoy the gardens, but few know the site is famous for its spot in the opening credits of the 1939 film Gone With the Wind. The Old Mill was built in 1933 as a replica of an 1830s water-powered mill. It is surrounded by concrete sculptures and bridges. Inside are artifacts from the Trail of Tears, local plantations and passenger steamboats. An authentic 1828 grist mill sits on the first floor of the building and some of the stones in the walls on the second floor came from an Arkansas plantation. The Old Mill was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.