Saturday, October 23, 2004

Popcorn balls

Quentin and I made popcorn balls today. This recipe, from Martha Stewart's Living October 2004, is much easier to make with kids helping because it doesn't require candy thermometers, perfect timing and the like. (But it did steal a lot from the Rice Krispies treats recipe, I think.)

Popcorn Balls

4 tbsp butter, plus more for hands
1 bag (10 oz) miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 quarts popped popcorn
1 cup M&Ms

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside. Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottom pot over low heat. Add marshmallows and brown sugar; stir until melted and combined. Remove from heat.

Add popcorn, and candies if desired; toss until well combined. With buttered hands, shape into 2 1/2-inch balls. Let harden slightly on baking sheet. After hardened wrap in cellophane bags and tie with black and orange ribbons.

(I added orange food coloring to the mix above to make the balls look like pumpkins, but that wasn't part of the original recipe.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this recipe! I remembered making these years ago--I looked all over the martha stewart site, and couldn't find anything! I thought I was going crazy then googled and found yours. I have two 3 year olds coming to make popcorn balls and this will be perfect. Plus, what's better than marshmallows and m&ms?

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made these years ago & they are scrumptious!! So much fun to make with kids, too.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Tracy B said...

Thanks for the recipe. I make these every Halloween, but I couldn't find it on the Martha Stewart website either. Instead of using M&Ms, I use Reese's Pieces for the great fall colors.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Francine Revers said...

Im planning to wrap these in cello bags. Do you think there is any reason to put them in an additional sandwich bag as Martha Stewart did? Also I can't fine Yellow and Black M&M's this year. Anyone? I think they opted for candy corn coloured...silly!

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home