Friday, October 22, 2004

Strange thoughts

I do my best thinking while walking and driving (but it has to be interstate - no stoplights, etc). Yesterday while taking my nightly walk, I was supposed to be thinking about my NaNoWriMo novel, but my brain was not cooperating and somehow dwelled on this thought..."If my life (so far) had a soundtrack, what would be on it?" Everyone knows the soundtrack is just as important as the movie, and since it's only a matter of time since the story of my life is made into a movie, I thought I would go ahead and work on the soundtrack. It's not complete by any means, but here's what I have so far...


Short People - Randy Newman (I was a little person when this song came out and just loved it anyway!)

Leroy Brown - James Taylor (My dad always called my brother Leroy when he was bad. I guess it was because of this song, but I've never asked.)

Let's Get Physical - Olivia Newton John (At 13, I met a fellow band geek at a bonfire one night and fell in love. I decided to dedicated this song to him on the radio, because who the hell would be listening and know I was the one who dedicated the song, etc. etc. More people were listening than I had predicted...and it seems the whole school was listening. Ah, the angst of tween love!)

Karma Chameleon - My father really liked Boy George when he was popular in the 80s. I never would have guessed this. But it somehow showed me a different side of him that I still remember to this day.

Add It Up - Violent Femmes (the protest album of my teen years...when you wanted to piss your parents off REALLY bad you played this whole album, yes kids they were albums then, REALLY LOUD!)

Pretty in Pink - The Psychedelic Furs (This song always reminds me of the first time I ever fell in love. It's a cautionary tale, I must admit, but still a good love story in the end.)

Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds (Ditto. It's a long story.)

I Found a Masterpiece in You - (In the early 90s, when I was in grad school, someone re-made this Atlantic Starr song and my husband thought it was hilarious/awful. We had just started dating at the time and he would sing it to me all the time in a terrible falsetto voice, making fun of the sappy song. But he did get a laugh out of it - and got the girl in the end.)

I Knew I Loved You Before I Met You - Savage Garden (This song came out on the radio right after my son was born and it pretty much sums up how you feel when you first get to see the baby boy you've been carrying around in your womb for nine months!)

That's as far as I've gotten so far, I'll be adding more as I go along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home