Quiz yourself about job satisfaction
Anita Bruzzese from Gannett News Service says even if you dislike where you work, it can be scary to leave. That's why so many miserable people stay in jobs they hate. So when is it time to leave? She recommends a checklist to sort out what you would lose and what you would gain by leaving a current job.
Consider these elements:
- Are you happy? It's been shown that being unhappy at work can lead to a multitude of problems such as high blood pressure, back and neck problems and depression. If you have family, ask them if they're happy with your job.
- Company health. Is the financial future of your company solid?
- Perks and benefits. Especially good health benefits but also does management support your taking time off?
- Pay. This should not be the only factor in deciding whether you take a job or not. But it is a factor.
- You feel fulfilled. Do you get a sense of personal satisfaction out of what you do?
If most of these answers are not answered positively, it may be time to consider other options.