Saturday, November 27, 2004

Turning 35

This Friday, I'm turning 35, and there seems to be something almost mystical about the number - and the birthday - to me this year. Maybe it's because I'll be halfway to the Biblical three-score and ten mark. Maybe it's the looming "middle age" moniker. I don't know.

But whatever it is, at least I'm not alone. It seems that a lot of others have felt something similar - a need to somehow mark this 35th year somehow....

- Reflections on Turning 35
- Turning 35
- Happy Birthday to Me!
- Ride of Passage
- Sex and the City episode - Carrie receives a dating service ad in the mail addressed to "Dear Single" which becomes the topic du jour at the morning coffee shop ritual with the girls. On the subject of soulmates, Charlotte believes in them piously. Carrie believes there are many of them for all of us. Miranda and Samantha think the idea is dangerous because it sets us up to fail and makes "the gap between the holy grail and the assholes even bigger." Miranda & Samantha decide to fill the application out for Carrie. They check off the 30 to 34 age box when Charlotte reminds them that Carrie's turning 35 next week. Miranda checks off 35 to 44 and with a wink Samantha purrs, "Honey, welcome to my box." (And Charlotte decides in another episode that she will get no older than 35. Period. Faux birthdays after that.)
- Turning 35

"You're only old when your regrets outnumber your dreams." (from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, via Accordion Guy)

Any my own 35 Great Things About Turning 35

1. I'm eligible to run for President.
2. I can afford wrinkle cream.
3. While raising kids, you don't have time to worry about getting older.
4. I'm due a shiny-new, super-fast, sleek red convertible any day now.
5. It sure as hell beats the alternative.
6. I can still touch my toes.
7. Any occasion that encourages cake and gifts is a good occasion.
8. When I see a light at the end of a tunnel, I don't automatically assume it's a train.
9. I'm eligible to run for President.
10. It sure as hell beats the alternative.

OK, OK...I'm working on figuring out the full 35 by Friday. I'll have to do some thinking on the issue. Please help me along by adding your comments!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be 35 Sept 26th this year and for some reason it is like ---OKAY, I HAVE ENTERED ADULTHOOD! AND ALL I KEEP THINKING ABOUT IS "OH MY GOSH! IN 5 YEARS I WILL BE 40!!" WOW! I AM ALSO A NURSE AND THE REALIZATION IS REALLY HITTING ME HOW TRULY SHORT LIFE REALLY IS! WE WAKE UP TOMORROW AND BE 50! ENJOY EACH DAY AS IF THERE IS NO TOMORROW AND LIVE EACH DAY TO THE FULLEST! THANKS FOR THIS WEBSITE!

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm turning 35 May 30th and I,m honestly having a hard time with it. When I workout or play with my kids,the realization that I don't feel as energetic as I did 10 years ago is really sobering. It also makes me realize that I will be having this same feeling 10 years from now.So before it gets here,I will utilize my time 100 times better than I did before. If it makes you feel better,the only way to keep from getting old ,is to die young. Think about it.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you girls have a few months to think about turning 35,, Me im turning 35 tomorrow!! Where did the time go which is what i keep asking,, Surely i still look 25? (thank god for Botox) think the worst thing is - IM STILL SINGLE so ive taken it onboard and become a parent to a rescue Cat,, yes from tomorrow onwards ill be a SAD, SINGLE women with a CAT. You know though,, Im having a blast and weather or not were all turning 35 or 45, life is for living so Bring it on.. Hope your girls enjoy your b-days,, I will. :-)

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be 35 in August and I hear this is the age that you are thinking more on the lines of doing things to please "YOU". YOu start stepping out of traditional family gatherings to start yours for the next 20 years from now. It's time for a to step up to plate on these hliday gatherings, our parents are getting tired and old. I'm scared of losing members of my immediate family, grandmother, motherr,etc. We are the future leaders of tomorrow. Okay we can't freak out now!

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am ten and a half years past 35, but according to everyone I don't look it, so I guess that's good.

However, I remember it pretty well. Nothing was different from the previous year, but I did have this awareness that I wasn't "a kid" anymore. Still, strangely, I didn't feel quite grown up. Maybe it was the not having kids and not being married aspect.

I remember being a little miffed that 35 is considered the beginning of middle age. I had thought that distinction belonged to 40. Now that I am facing 50, I MISS being 35 a lot.

Life is really short!!! Don't trip about being 35. It's a great age. Welcome every year. Take care of the body. That is key to enjoy your years. Believe me. I have a lot of friends who are sick and out of shape and can't walk a flight of stairs without getting out of breath.

Take care of your mind! You are never too old to try something new. And the coolest thing is you really do get wiser.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 35 & confused abt what all is happening.. I am a successful business woman with 3 kids, or 4 if u count my hsbnd. I am feel like I am supposed to do something great & yet its like it's my time to care for me. It's like you come to a cross road and evaluate yourself. I feel selfish that I am putting me first for the past year & the results are great!For me - not so great for others.

I feel I am caught between a woman and girl. Both fighting for the thrown, humm..

I gained 10 miserable pounds that seem to have committed to me long term & I fear it will all be down hill from here.

It's great to read I'm not the only one having a hard time identifing myself.

Thank u all for putting urselves out there.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home