This Friday, I'm turning 35, and there seems to be something almost mystical about the number - and the birthday - to me this year. Maybe it's because I'll be halfway to the Biblical three-score and ten mark. Maybe it's the looming "middle age" moniker. I don't know.
But whatever it is, at least I'm not alone. It seems that a lot of others have felt something similar - a need to somehow mark this 35th year somehow....
- Reflections on Turning 35
- Turning 35
- Happy Birthday to Me!
- Ride of Passage
- Sex and the City episode - Carrie receives a dating service ad in the mail addressed to "Dear Single" which becomes the topic du jour at the morning coffee shop ritual with the girls. On the subject of soulmates, Charlotte believes in them piously. Carrie believes there are many of them for all of us. Miranda and Samantha think the idea is dangerous because it sets us up to fail and makes "the gap between the holy grail and the assholes even bigger." Miranda & Samantha decide to fill the application out for Carrie. They check off the 30 to 34 age box when Charlotte reminds them that Carrie's turning 35 next week. Miranda checks off 35 to 44 and with a wink Samantha purrs, "Honey, welcome to my box." (And Charlotte decides in another episode that she will get no older than 35. Period. Faux birthdays after that.)
- Turning 35
"You're only old when your regrets outnumber your dreams." (from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, via Accordion Guy)
Any my own 35 Great Things About Turning 35
1. I'm eligible to run for President.
2. I can afford wrinkle cream.
3. While raising kids, you don't have time to worry about getting older.
4. I'm due a shiny-new, super-fast, sleek red convertible any day now.
5. It sure as hell beats the alternative.
6. I can still touch my toes.
7. Any occasion that encourages cake and gifts is a good occasion.
8. When I see a light at the end of a tunnel, I don't automatically assume it's a train.
9. I'm eligible to run for President.
10. It sure as hell beats the alternative.
OK, OK...I'm working on figuring out the full 35 by Friday. I'll have to do some thinking on the issue. Please help me along by adding your comments!