Sunday, February 20, 2005

Books on the way...

I spend most of my free reading time on fiction, but two business-type books recently caught my eye (and ear) recently and are now on the way to my house. Reviews to follow later.

Happiness by Richard Layard

The book tackles "the paradox at the heart of our lives" through recent research in the fields of psychology, sociology and applied economics. Or as Freud would phrase it, What do humans want?

Turns out that more money only makes you happier when it lifts you out of poverty. Or when it makes you richer than the people around you. But when whole societies become richer, there's no happiness boost. Layard concludes that if we really want to be happy, we would stop working so much, get married and stay that way, have kids, unplug the TV, help the less fortunate - and our governments would have policies to facilitate all of that.

Sun Tzu Was a Sissy: How to Conquer Your Enemies, Promote Your Friends, and Wage the Real Art of War by Stanley Bing

For the title alone and because I loved Bing's 10 ways a CEO is like a baby article in the Feb. 21, 2005 print edition of Fortune magazine. And because most of the lobbyists I know refer to Sun Tzu's The Art of War as their handbook and I find this comical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home