Wednesday, February 09, 2005

How to manage smart people (and the others too)

I had printed out Scott Berkun's How to Manage Smart People and had it laying on my desk yesterday. I didn't think much about it sitting there - but it seemed to provoke a comment from everyone who entered my office.

Finally, I couldn't resist anymore. Someone read the title out loud again, like they were trying to figure out what the hell I was reading now (common in my office). My response: "Yeah, now if he'd only publish How to Manage Dumb People and How to Manage Those of Average Intelligence, I'd have the complete picture.") ;)

On a serious note, I haven't read that far yet, but I do think his basic premise so far - that businesses need to spend less time on pseudo-management techniques and more time finding out what an employee is good at (and, I believe, enjoys) - rings true. My biggest amazement in the work world was discovering that some of the things that I truly detest doing, others enjoy. It was like a light at the end of the tunnel for me!

The harder thing to conquer is how to ask someone to stop doing what they truly enjoy but are ultimately no good at. I haven't figured out how to do that one very diplomatically yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home