Wednesday, February 23, 2005

I am Woman, Hear Me Shop

From a different BusinessWeek article...

Forget multitasking -- women like Varma are "multiminding," a newly coined buzz phrase that describes the process of simultaneously thinking about various things. Marketers have found it hard to grab such women's attention with TV ads. "Today's woman has less time and is such a tough consumer she has single-handedly pushed marketers to actually go to PR budgets," says Silverstein. "She reads magazines and wants to know the detail around products." That's one reason marketers are increasingly emphasizing product placement, sponsorships, and shaping editorial content over TV ads.

Varma is a vascular surgeon in the article and I don't pretend to have the schedule of a vascular surgeon. But my life mirrors the story again. I no longer watch TV (except movies rented from Netflix). But I read lots of magazines (and lots of blogs) - and a book occasionally when I can fit it in.

I, too, workout at 5 a.m. and then rush home to get my son to kindergarten. I make something for my family to eat most every night (though we do have leftovers often and don't often eat it in a family table setting). I tend to use lunch to run errands (like going to Target or Best Buy). I tend to go to the grocery store right after work with my son (and I want to get in and out as quickly as possible).

And I love inserts in magazines like "Oprah's Favorite Things" or "Things We Love" type stories if I don't feel like the magazine is just cloaking ad sales to me as an article. If it seems like they really could love these things, I feel like they have helped me find great things. If I don't, I feel like they have insulted my intelligence, wasted my time and made me mad (rather than sold me anything).

I have a '66 Mustang GT convertible - and have had serious thoughts about buying a Harley. But since it would have to be either/or for me I don't know if I could give up the convertible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home