Friday, February 04, 2005

The I-Know-You-Are-But-What-Am-I? Defense

My son has two boys picking on him in his class. He came home one day this week upset because they had called him a freak.

This wouldn't be too surprising if my son wasn't in 4K - and the games have already begun. (I thought I had at least until elementary school to get ready for this crap.)

At first, I went through the usual "We all can choose whether to be mean or to be nice. They have obviously chosen to be mean, but that doesn't mean you have to be." Blank stare.

Then I tried the "Not everyone is always going to like you, son. Some people just won't. And it has nothing to do with you." Continued blank stare.

Frustrated, I finally blurt out "The next time they call you a freak, say 'I know you are, but what am I?' in a high, irritating voice and keep saying this repeatedly until they go away." Little smile.

We practiced repeatedly last night. Let's just hope it works and my tactics don't backfire on me. Keep your fingers crossed. (Now I'll just be waiting on the phone call from the teacher.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home