Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Of gadgets and gender

While reading this BusinessWeek article, I had an awful realization...I AM JILL. I thought I was much more nuanced and could never be pegged by a mere market researcher. (Another personal myth bites the dust!)

This has led Best Buy (BBY ) to adopt the "Jill Initiative," a program to target its typical female customer. "Jill" is a trend-savvy working suburban mom with a fair amount of disposable income, who's likely to shop at Target (TGT ) as opposed to Wal-Mart (WMT ).

The consumer-electronics retailer found that women read Target's newspaper inserts for ideas about how to better design their homes and use Best Buy's inserts for research and price comparison. So, Best Buy is using scenes that depict family life in its inserts and peppering them with gift ideas for children and friends.

As Best Buy discovers more of women's wants and needs, it's rolling out newer programs and advertising in magazines like Real Simple and Better Homes & Gardens. Last year, it launched 68 concept stores in California and Nevada, where personal assistants whisk female shoppers into their domain and provide them with information tailored to their needs.

Target and Best Buy are the only as inserts I read in the Sunday paper. (I do read the Steinmart that comes on Saturday some times too.) And I do look at Target for decorating ideas in addition to sales items. And I have a subscription to Real Simple and Better Homes and Gardens.

So Best Buy market researchers, feel free to give me a call when you want to discover more of Jill's wants and needs. She is me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home