Monday, March 14, 2005

Between Midnight & Day

Dick Waterman's blog is a great example of the power of the blogosphere to bring like-minded individuals together, individuals who most likely would never have crossed paths in the "real world." The man combines three of my favorite things - writing, photography and the blues - and creates a beautiful book out of the experience, Between Midnight and Day. And he sent me an autographed copy in the mail today. I'm almost giddy. (And for you fellow blues enthusiasts, I found this essay Waterman wrote on why he wrote this book.)

Before I received the book, I had read his blog and knew he had been photographing great blues singers for a while, which made him automatically cool in my book. But when we were e-mailing back and forth, what I didn't know was that he formed Avalon Productions, the first agency dedicated exclusively to managing and promoting blues musicians. I didn't know that he managed such names as Son House, John Hurt, Buddy Guy and Otis Rush, just to name a few. I didn't know that he promoted concerts for Bruce Springsteen, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Los Lobos, John Lee Hooker and many others. I didn't know that he managed Bonnie Raitt for many years. Hell, the man managed or promoted 3/4 of my CD collection!

But it's probably best that I didn't know that because I would have been self-conscious. And I would have missed the most important fact - that, in spite of all the stuff you read above about his talents and his contacts, he's just a nice guy. A guy kind enough to e-mail and say Thank You for including him in a Ten New Voices piece.

And that's what I love most about blogging. Even though it attracts its share of egos, for the most part, everyone, no matter what their name or title, is generally very nice - think Steve Rubel, Robert Scoble, Rex Hammock, Jeff Jarvis, B.L. Ochman (a special thanks to Ms. Ochman for introducing me to Dick Waterman's blog) - all very talented and all very nice. Conventional wisdom has it that you can tell the most about a person when times are bad, but I've found that hard times are a great equalizer. I believe you can tell the most about a person when he has found fame or acclaim or fortune or success. Mr. Waterman has been added to my list above of those who passed the test with flying colors.

(And now I have a new book to read on my plane trip to and from San Antonio. Thanks again, Mr. Waterman. And, yes folks, I'll be blogging about the book as soon as I get back.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you, I love the fact that the blogosphere brings like-minded people together. And that it gives us a chance to get inside the heads of people who think completely differently than us.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words about me and my blog. And I am so happy that my post gave you a chance to "meet" Dick Waterman and get a close up view of his work. If you think the photos in the book and on the site are fantastic, consider the fact that he has thousands of unpublished photographs hanging around in drawers.

Because of the response to his photography, getting his collected work, (and the photos he is still making) into public view has become his work.

He's taken to blogging like a fish to water and I know that it won't take long for even more people to find him.
B.L. Ochman
What's Next Blog
http://www.whatsnextblog.com

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home