William Johnson House open after renovations
Link - Almost 30 years after its purchase by dedicated preservationists, after insistent lobbying at the state and national level and after more than a decade of research and construction, a new Natchez National Historical Park site has been born.
William Johnson, a free black man and a successful barber in pre-Civil War Natchez, kept an exhaustive diary of his life and times that was finally published in the 1950s. The house at 210 State St., built in 1841, served as home to Johnson's family for 134 years.
It took $2.25 million and three years of research and construction to restore the Johnson House and adjacent McCallum House, now part of the Natchez National Historical Park along with antebellum house Melrose and Fort Rosalie.